Unix without tar?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at auvax.uucp
Thu Sep 7 03:42:19 AEST 1989

guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> I remember one case where
>it was claimed that a vendor offering a binary version built from one of
>those AT&T source versions had removed "tar", but hopefully that vendor
>was tarred and feathered for that, and served as an example to others.
     ^^^
How, if they didn't ship the code ? :-)

What I really like is the way AT&T is attempting to eliminate tar by
breaking all the option processing: for no good reason, options have to
be in a specific order. I also love the arbitrary 10K block limit enforced
by tar when writing tapes. Of course, AT&T's 9 track support is so brain-
dead that this should be considered a feature.
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon at cs.AthabascaU.CA

   CTIX-USERS has moved to:  ctix-users[-request]@cs.AthabascaU.CA