SVR4 vs BSD (was AIX (is it unix)?)

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Tue Sep 26 03:28:29 AEST 1989

In article <19776 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

|  At any rate, work is proceeding on POSIX- and ANSI-fication of BSD,
|  although some of it hinges on installing gcc everywhere (I am a bit
|  reluctant to make gcc our standard C compiler, myself---probably just
|  residual paranoia from observing early gcc releases to do very peculiar
|  things.)

  Another reason that keeps some sites from using gcc is that if you
link using their object library you are bound by the copyleft to make
the source of your program available to the public. You can use the gcc
compiler, but when you bind in the FSF library you have to play by their
rules.

  This is a major concern when you have software which reflects the
insights gained from millions of dollars in (physical) research and
would like to avoid having to share with you competitors...
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon