vi format command

Will Martin wmartin at stl-06sima.army.mil
Thu Sep 14 09:08:04 AEST 1989

Just as a brief follow-up to my query about doing the "quick formatting"
under Sys V instead of using the BSD-specific "fmt" command: I was just
told about a locally-available public-domain formatter called "ff" that
does this, and I've tested it and it works. However, this is NOT
anything standard available under Sys V. [There IS a Sys V "ff" command
but that is something totally different that is a 1M admin command, BTW.]

The "ff" formatter man page indicates that it came from Gary Perlman
[et al] back in 1985 or thereabouts; the institution is unknown.

It still would be nice if there was a standard way under Sys V to do
this, without having to incorporate products from other sources. The
reference to "adjust" by another respondent appears to be something
unique to his system, or HP's UNIX version, or the like; it isn't here
(on a Unisys Sys V UNIX).

Regards, Will Martin