Problem with make

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Sat Sep 30 09:18:31 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep29.164831.26616 at wash08.uucp>, rae98 at wash08.uucp (Robert A. Earl) writes:

|  Alternatively, can you pass args through make to be used in the makefile?
|  What I really want to do is:
|
|  make tar (system_name)
|  and have the makefile generate a tar file and send it to system_name.
|
|  the tar is easy.....any way to do the rest?

  I have several thoughts which may work or give you inspiration. If the
number of systems is small you could have a makerule for each.
Alternatively you can specify the system name as a parameter on the make
command line.

	$ make tar SYSNAME=wimpy

where the makefile has somthing like:

	# make tar here
	#
	# now send it to the remote, your favorite way
	rsh $(SYSNAME) cat ">/spool/new.tar" < tar
	# also you can:
	# uucp tar $(SYSNAME)!~/tarspool/new.tar

If you don't need an interactive prompt you may be able to do this. The
nice thing is that it can go in a script to run offhours.

	$ for sys in wimpy popeye olive sweetp
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon