csh question -- aliasing, quoting and the like

DAVID NEWALL CCDN at levels.sait.edu.au
Thu Sep 21 23:09:04 AEST 1989

In article <498 at westc.UUCP>, gjoost at westc.UUCP (Gertjan van Oosten) writes:
> The basic problem is as follows: I want an alias to kill all processes
> called 'roy'.
>
> % alias killroy 'kill `ps ax | grep -w roy | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`'
>
> The problem comes down to having single quotes within single quotes.

What's wrong with cut?  Use cut before you go diving for awk.

% alias killroy 'kill `ps ax | grep -w roy | grep -v grep | cut -c1-5`'

David Newall                     Phone:  +61 8 343 3160
Unix Systems Programmer          Fax:    +61 8 349 6939
Academic Computing Service       E-mail: ccdn at levels.sait.oz.au
SA Institute of Technology       Post:   The Levels, South Australia, 5095