file too large

Lars P. Fischer fischer at iesd.auc.dk
Tue Sep 26 01:56:00 AEST 1989

In article <1226 at xyzzy.UUCP> meissner at tiktok.dg.com (Michael Meissner) writes:
>| Try emacs(1). Handles files with up to 2^31 characters.
>
>That really depends on the emacs implementation.  GNU emacs for
>example, requires that all text, global data, and buffer space fit
>within 2^24 bytes.  This is because the upper 8 bits are used to
>encode the type and are also used for garbage collection.

OK, so I blew it. Sorry. If you need to edit files with more than 200k
lines (80 chars/line), don't use emacs. In all other cases, do :-).

(Only 16M chars per session? You mean I can't say "emacs /dev/xy0c"?
Anybody out there has a *real* editor?? :-).

/Lars
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer at iesd.auc.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

Our audience is programmers, because the UNIX environment was
designed fundamentally for programming.
			-- Kernighan & Pike