AIX (is it unix)?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Sep 28 04:20:47 AEST 1989

 >>And also not an interesting one,
 >
 >I think the readers should be left to decide what's interesting to them
 >and what's not on their own, IMHO.

I find it impossible to take anyone seriously the assertion that "well,
I can say 'x isn't easy' because my definition of 'easy' says it's not
easy", if the person making this assertion doesn't bother to give their
definition of "easy".  If there *are* people out there who can take this
seriously, I consider that their problem.  It really wouldn't have been
*that* hard to actually give your definition, so that people can
actually decide whether it makes sense or not.

I infer from your statement about "adding more system calls to the
kernel" that that is the basis of your statement; had you mentioned it
in the first place, it would have been a lot better.

I shall simply note that the streams mechanism is having stuff added to
it in S5R4 to support out-of-band data and to support TCP urgent data,
and note therefore that if the current BSD socket mechanism needs change
to support the ISO protocols, perhaps even including new system calls
(although, frankly, I would rather take e.g. Keith Sklower's word for
it that it's necessary than yours, since he's one of the people actually
*implementing* the ISO protocols on BSD), this cannot necessarily be
claimed as an advantage for S5 streams, since they required modification
as well....