Running out of inodes in /

Kurt Lidl smaug at eng.umd.edu
Fri Sep 22 06:56:55 AEST 1989

	Recently I tried to set the sticky bit on the /tmp directory
of a machine  here (a 3/60 running 4.0.1).  Within two days, the
machine crashed due to a shortage of inodes in the / partition.
Looking in the /tmp directory showed a huge collection of .getwdXXX
files, with the "XXX" being a pid, I assume.
	Sun claims that setting the sticky bit on a directory will
not allow anybody other than the owner to remove that file, regardless
of the permissions on the directory (even with rwxrwxrwx, only the
owner of the file could remove it).
	What I want to know is this just an implementation problem,
or is there more to the problem?  It seems that whatever is creating
the .getwdXXX files ought to clean up after itself a little better.
Any ideas on how to combat this problem?
	Any replies welcome (E-Mail preferred.)