waitpid? (Was "Re: Converting wait3() to System V")

Gerry Baumgartner gerry at SSD.HARRIS.COM
Thu Sep 21 03:54:52 AEST 1989

In article <439 at lxn.eds.com> bill at lxn.UUCP (Bill Doviak) writes:
>In article <434 at ohs.UUCP> mday at ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>>
>>Try using waitpid().  You'll need to include <sys/wait.h>, if you haven't
>>          ^^^^^^^^^?
>
>What's that? It's not documented in my SysV R2 or SysV R3 manuals.

waitpid() is a routine specified by POSIX 1003.1.  It adds to wait() some of
the functionality of wait3(), namely the use of wait3 options.  It also lets
you specify a set of child processes for which status is requested, i.e. a
process with a specific pid or process group ID.  It's my understanding that it
will make it's appearance in SysV R4 or any OS thats going to be POSIX 1003.1
compliant.

Gerry Baumgartner                |    gerry at ssd.harris.com
System Software Development      | or gerry%ssd.harris.com at eddie.mit.edu
Harris Computer Systems Division | or ...!{mit-eddie,uunet,novavax}!hcx1!gerry
Fort Lauderdale FL 33309         |