AIX (is it unix)?

Daniel Ehrlich ehrlich at cs.psu.edu
Sat Sep 16 01:32:49 AEST 1989

In article <1702 at naucse.UUCP> jdc at naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:

   My administrator believes in IBM so much that when we mentioned that we
   needed to be able to read tapes on a mainframe and move the data down
   to work stations via TCP/IP he said use our IBM mainframe (CMS, MVS, and
   VM).  Slightly more reasonably, he further suggested we could purchase
   AIX and run it as a "virtual machine" under VM.

   I know nothing of IBM.  Is this reasonable?  Is AIX a real unix when it
   runs on a big IBM?  Specifically, would Sun/Iris/Apollo users understand
   the IBM world if they came in through the AIX back door?  (And does
   *anyone* know how good a TCP/IP internet running on ethernet implementation
   will be for such users?)

AIX V2 (Advanced Interactive Executive) has roots in UNIX System V
Release 3 (I think).  Some people believe it is UNIX.  I do not.  It
is sufficiently different from what I have been using for the last 10
years (BSD UNIX and it's derivatives) that I find AIX painful to use.
AIX/370 will run as a guest under VM/XA and does support TCP/IP and
NFS.

AIX V3 is supposedly `better' for people from the BSD universe.  I can
not say as I have not been able to play with AIX V3 yet.  Who knows,
maybe they (IBM) got it right this time.

   --
	   John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
				       CAMPBELL at NAUVAX.bitnet

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at cs.psu.edu>   | "A message is not a message until the
The Pennsylvania State University  | rules for interpreting it are in the