Re^2: Earthmen are sooo clever

Doug Davis doug at letni.UUCP
Thu Sep 7 06:47:08 AEST 1989

In article <2402 at wyse.wyse.com> bob at wyse.UUCP (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training) writes:
>Another factor affecting the degree of defragmentation would be the
>frequency with which the fsck is run.  I have set up a cron entry that
>runs it with the -S option on a daily basis (in the wee hours of the
>morning).  The -S form will only reorganize the free list if there are no
>problems found in the file system structure and can be run while in
>multi-user mode without apparent problems
WRONGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

>(I have been doing this for nearly a year now.
>If anyone has any info on why I shouldn't, I'd sure like to know!).
This is like saying, "I have a revolver, with only one bullet in it,
and in the wee hours of the morning, when noone is around I put the
barrel in my ear, give the cylinder a really good spin and then pull the
trigger. I have been doing that for nearly a year and haven't shot
myself yet."

Isn't that what you are saying? ;-)

Case in point, there exists a race condition between the time fsck
figures out that there were no "errors" and the time that it actually
writes the newly organized freelist out.   During this time,
small as it may be, something could open up a file and allocate
a block or two...

Guess what happens now..

*BOOM*..... your filsystems dead..

>I am running XENIX 2.3.2 on a 386 system with ESDI 150M HD.
I'm sorry..

--
Doug Davis/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740
{sys1.tandy.com, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, attctc, texbell} letni!doug