vi format command...

merrell at data.mrc.uidaho.edu merrell at data.mrc.uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 14 03:20:12 AEST 1989

> The examples given in a response to this query, using the "fmt" command,
> look to be very good. Unfortunately, they also seem to be BSD-specific.
> I can find "fmt" in my BSD manuals, but there's no sign of it on our
> SysV Unisys systems. There IS a "newform" command under SysV, but it
> doesn't appear to do what is needed -- it seems to work on a line-at-a-time
> basis, and does not appear to have any options that would cause it to
> work for reformatting whole paragraphs or larger text chunks.
>
> Does anyone out there have a SysV solution to this question?
>
> Regards, Will Martin

I use the same thing, but with "adjust".  adjust works on larger chunks;
looks, like similar options too.  It's a simple formatter, not meant to be
anything fancy (like nroff or troff).  This is on HP-UX 6.5.

Randy Merrell
Microelectronics Research Center         "Rejoice in the Lord always;
College of Engineering                      again I say, rejoice!"
University of Idaho                              -- Phil. 4:4
Moscow, ID  83843
UUCP:     ucdavis!egg-id!ui3!rmerrell
BITNET:   rmerrell at groucho.mrc.uidaho.edu
INTERNET: rmerrell at groucho.mrc.uidaho.edu