AIX pedigree (and unique features)

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Wed Sep 27 12:23:30 AEST 1989

In article <202 at fjcp60.GOV> brinkema at fjcnet.GOV (John R. Brinkema) writes:

>Could someone please tell me the pedigree of AIX (from 4.x, System III, etc)
>and list some of the major features that are 1) unique to AIX and 2) different
>from its parent(s) [ie. interesting to someone who is porting to/from AIX.

I was about to say "you can't" because "AIX" doesn't mean ANYTHING but
an interface specification.  Right now, AIX PS/2 and AIX/RT are completely
different internally.  The system call interface is mostly V.2 with sockets.
But if you work with the PS/2 kernel code (which I have) it's clear that it's
a Locus kernel, meaning that it shares a pedigree with 4.[123]BSD, V7, Sys III,
along with V.2, but has gobs of original Locus code to support TCF file sharing
and replication.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer