Invisible Disk

David Pipes pipes at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 1 22:52:57 AEST 1989

     I had trouble getting my mailer to respond to some of the more
distant nets, so I would like to point out to the helpful folks who
wrote that the /dev/sd2 files were created.
     I have tried some other stuff, and managed to talk to the disk
with newfs.  With this I pulled off the partitioning info, then
plugged it into format.dat.  Now, format chokes by getting 4
unknown messages involving sw0 and finally timing out on a MSG IN -
apparently while waiting for a response from some device (sd2?).
Stranger and stranger.  Why should newfs be able to talk happily
to the disk, while format can't.  Also, in the EEPROM manual,
the size byte for disk size in the system configuration block only
goes up to 3, for 327 M.  Why not larger?

                          Thanks,

| EMail: pipes at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov                David Pipes |
| Vox: (301) 286-2248                                 X X X    |
| Message contains only my opinions.                 =======   |
| "French is sort of the lingua franca of Europe..." =======   |