Marketing wizardry & handling of far-east languages.

ryerson.schwark ry at cbnewsl.ATT.COM
Thu Sep 28 23:06:29 AEST 1989

In article <5557 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In short, Arndt Johanssen will be hard-pressed to find what he is
>looking for, at least in terms of some fundamentally international
>solution.  He will probably have to settle for a short-sighted hack
>that some independent firm, or else some national branch of a larger
>firm, has developed to meet his particular sort of need.

Not True!  AT&T has done considerable work on internationalization
with the intent that all the work we have done not have to be
redone for each language.  We have quite effectively addressed Japanese,
one of the more difficult languages with 3 alphabets and ideograms,
and have created some generalized solutions to address both Asian
and European languages.  The UNIX Software Operation is, however,
in the source code licensing business, so you may not be seeing
this stuff on your vendor's box yet, but the technology is there.

Ry Schwark
rye at attunix.att.com