Marketing wizardry & handling of far-east languages.

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Sep 28 14:20:50 AEST 1989

In article <5557 at tank.uchicago.edu> goer at sophist.UUCP (Richard Goerwitz) writes:
>In article <5508 at zyx.ZYX.SE> arndt at zyx.ZYX.SE (Arndt Jonasson) makes
>a very important request for information - one that makes we here in
>the US only to painfully aware of our almost pathological inability
>to think internationally, at least on the linguistic level:

It also appears to make us forget how to use English.

>The fundamental misconception is, of course, that localization is com-
>patible with internationalization.

No, the fundamental problem is that you don't know what they
mean by "localization".  It's a technical term; locales provide
a flexible mans of supporting multiple cultural interfaces on
the same system.  The original technique was devised by X3J11
in conjunction with international working groups that were
concerned with such issues, generally summarized as
"internationalization".  I receive many of their mailings
regularly.  I think they have the matter well under control.