Unix without tar?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Sep 2 04:38:08 AEST 1989

>I no longer have the manuals, but as I recall V6 did not, and it may still be
>in use at a few sites.

It didn't have "tar", but I've written off V6 sites; absent a bunch of
later improvements (the "50 changes", the "Phototypesetter - Version 7"
compiler and C libraries), and some additional compatibility work, V6
can't run all programs written to the V7 interface (including programs
using such utterly exotic system services as "stat" and "fstat" - yes,
they're different between the two systems), much less the interfaces
offered by more modern UNIXes.