Is nroff part of UNIX package?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 24 13:36:21 AEST 1989

In article <112 at tons61.UUCP> harrys at tons61.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:
-funk at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
--On our SYS V Rel 2  UNIX, we had nroff/troff
--Now, on Release 3, we do not have it.  Our vendor says that it really
--wasn't part of UNIX, that it was part of Documentor's Workbench, and that we'd
--gotten a freebie before that they don't have to give now.
-jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
--I guess so.  A good deal for AT&T; the Documenters Workbench costs bucks.
--Plus, no nroff --- no online man pages (also not included in SYSV) -- more
--people who can't easily RTFM and thus have to post to the net --- longer
--phone calls for uucp traffic --> AT&T wins again...
-We have experienced the problem with our CCI Version of Unix.  NO NROFF
-**AARRRGGHHH!**  All the systems I have worked on (except for SCO) had
-nroff available. I guess AT&T and the powers that be feel that it's the
-next closest thing we'll get to a word processor.

Why are you guys wasting net bandwidth with all this unfounded guesswork?

Documenter's WorkBench was unbundled from the rest of the UNIX OS package
as of UNIX System V Release 2.  Existing source licensees were granted
DWB 1.0 licenses when they upgraded to SVR2.0 (offer now expired).  DWB
is available under separate license (DWB 2.0 is the latest release, and
probably the last from AT&T).

Some vendors provide DWB standardly with their version of UNIX; others
provide it as an extra-cost option; and others don't offer it at all,
in which case you could license it yourself.  Porting DWB 2.0 isn't hard
if you start with my version instead of AT&T's.