named problem

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Sat Sep 2 02:44:28 AEST 1989

? From: Bob Ware <bware at csm9a.uucp>

? I am trying to get 'named' running as a primary domain server on a
? Micro-Vax running Ultrix 3.0.

? 1. It runs ok after executing: hostname ccncsm.Mines.Colorado.EDU.

? 2. But after executing: hostname ccncsm
? I have not been able to find the right combination to get it running ok.
? Under these conditions, the 'nslookup' command consistently gives:

? *** Can't find initialize address for server : Non-existent domain

The hostname command should use the fully qualified domain name:

	hostname ccncsm.Mines.Colorado.EDU

Also see the documentation on /etc/resolv.conf, man 5 resolver
On our sun3, we find it easiest to run with a domainname equal
to the hostname, and no /etc/resolv.conf. When we had the line

	domain ncsl.nist.gov

in our resolv.conf, we occasionally got duplicated domain names on
some hostnames: foo.ncsl.nist.gov.nist.gov.

? Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
? (303) 273-3987
? bware at csm9a.colorado.edu. bware at mines.bitnet isis!csm9a!bware
? ucbvax!nbires!udenva!csm9a!bware

	Root Boy Jim and
	the GNU Bohemians

P.S. I can see it now: Mike Karels on the design of 4.3BSD: "What would
I do defferent? I'd spell resolv.conf with an `e' :-)