possible file size error

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Tue Sep 5 11:14:45 AEST 1989

In article <Sep.4.09.11.43.1989.19188 at PRESTO.IG.COM>, will at presto.ig.com (Will Nelson) writes:
> In article <2218 at netcom.UUCP>, beaulieu at netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) writes:
> >    [ stuff about file size errors from fsck ]
>
> We used to see this many years ago on Onyx machines.
> I don't remember exactly what caused it, but we did something like:
>
> 	ncheck -i 3046 filesystem
>
> 	cp offending_file offending_file.old
> 	mv offending_file.old offending_file
>
> The offending_file is determined by the output of ncheck.
> This got rid of the fsck complaint.

Yes, this would fill in the holes in the file with nulls that any
program would have gotten anyway, but you just increased the
size of the file without any justification.  This file size error
message from fsck is just a warning.  If there is a reason for the
file with the hole (like a database file, or maybe an index file)
then you just caused it to take up more space than it really needs
to.

I would recommend that you just check to ensure that the file (or
the program that uses the offending_file) is supposed to have
holes in it and leave it alone.  It isn't bothering anybody.