pmap, mmap, iomap... what unixes are these available on?

Kurt Gollhardt kdg at nirvo.uucp
Fri Sep 8 11:22:59 AEST 1989

In article <7634 at ecsvax.uncecs.edu> uccjcm at ecsvax.uncecs.edu (John McLendon) writes:

>We're looking at un*x's to move our application to, but we need
>to be able to memory map a register based board we produce
>into a processes address space. HP has iomap. Sun has mmap
>which I presume can do the same thing. Regulus has a non-standard
>call that does this. Concurrent does it with mmap.
>Does anyone know if AT&T can do this with the latest SYSV/386?
>How about other un*x's?

The current AT&T UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2, and similar systems,
do not support mmap() (or iomap, or any such).  Release 4.0, however,
will provide mmap(), including its other function of mapping a file
into a process's address space.

On the other hand, it *is* possible in 3.2 for a device driver to set up
such a mapping for its own device (though the mechanisms for doing so are
somewhat arcane, and such a driver would probably have to be modified to
work with 4.0).  This is done for the console video board when running
SimulTask 386 or X Windows.

--
Kurt Gollhardt                      \   Nirvonics, Inc. -- Plainfield, NJ
Kurt.Gollhardt at nirvo.uucp           /\     Software Design and Consulting