Termcap, IC, and IM

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 3 10:02:26 AEST 1989

In article <20770 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>Mixing our metaphors aren't we? You can either be:
> 	- D A Gwyn, 4.3BSD TERMCAP(5) editor
>or 	- D A Gwyn, SVr#v# TERMCAP(4) editor

Oh, okay.  Choose the former.  UNIX System V no longer supports termcap.
We continue to use it in our System V emulation on 4BSD, where it is
documented under TERMCAP(4).  (The native 4BSD version is TERMCAP(5),
same except for some extremely minor tweaks.)  This "manual section"
notation is creaking at the seams, more so since AT&T decided to change
theirs midstream.  The SVID method (BA_OS etc.) would be good except I
think they introduced too many categories.