Unix without tar?

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 22:33:13 AEST 1989

I find it MOST interesting to read that ALL machines have tar.  I have
an AT&T 3B2, with SYSV R3.2.1.  It was purchased from, configured by,
and delivered by AT&T.  There is no tar.  Tar is documented in the
manual, but not delivered.  Tar is listed as a "tape utility."
3B2s are delivered with a "Streaming Tape" and "streaming tape utilities."
No "tape drive" means "no tape drive utilities" is the only explanation I
have ever received.

What is really cute, is that when I went to download GNU tar from
osu-cis (a wonderful archive site!), I discovered that tar was only
available in tar format!  (Now why would I want tar if I already have
tar.)  I wrote a quick un-tar program, so I could use it.

I have installed packages on my 3B2 which first install a tar, and then
use tar to install the rest of the packate, so there must be other 3B2s
without tar.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin