'cc' versus 'gcc'

Michael Pak misha at sunnie.Huji.AC.IL
Wed Sep 27 02:00:59 AEST 1989

Hi, there.

   I have recently discovered a 'gcc' compiler on our system.
When I began using it, it appeared that the code runs now much faster
than the one produced by the standard 'cc'. But a while ago,
somebody told me to stay away from this 'gcc', since it has quite
a few serious bugs in producing code. He said, that it sometimes
produces incorrect code, and the program does things it was not
supposed to do.
Since I have never encountered any bugs whatsoever (and I use it very
extensively) I would like to ask whether you have encountered any bugs,
and if you did, I would appreciate if you can send me their description.
And also, if you have any benchmark results, I would like
to see them very much.

                     Thanks.