AIX pedigree (and unique features)

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Sep 27 22:23:14 AEST 1989

In article <31 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

|  I was about to say "you can't" because "AIX" doesn't mean ANYTHING but
|  an interface specification.  Right now, AIX PS/2 and AIX/RT are completely
|  different internally.  The system call interface is mostly V.2 with sockets.
|  But if you work with the PS/2 kernel code (which I have) it's clear that it's
|  a Locus kernel, meaning that it shares a pedigree with 4.[123]BSD, V7, Sys III,
|  along with V.2, but has gobs of original Locus code to support TCF file sharing
|  and replication.

  I'm told that the AIX/370 kernel was done from yet another source (I
haven't seen the source, although three headhunters have offered me a
chance ;-) This implies that AIX version are compatible at the acronym level.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon