Convergent MiniFrame Diskettes

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Sat Sep 2 00:43:25 AEST 1989

In article <1210 at mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
:
>There is a donated Convergent MiniFrame running SysV 2.0, or something
>close to it.   ...
>The Convergent has a 5 1/4" diskette, driven by a WD2797 that I know is
>physically capable of read-write of MSDOS 360K diskettes, since the same
>diskette hardware under the Convergent CTOS has an MSWRITE and MSREAD utility.
>Not for UNIX however.
>I need either a program or some portion of 'c' source that might get me
>started in that direction.
>The drive is normally 720K, 96TPI but only double density (unlike the 3B1).
:

The game is, ya gotta use only every other track.

When we had a few MF's around, the driver permitted READING UnixPC
floppies on the MF.  I seem to recall the driver we had was a hack
from CT and I don't know it was ever "released".
(CT should have SOME record of the earlier driver.)

Writing SINGLE DENSITY floppies is a more questionable game:
start with a virgin floppy and MAYBE one properly written on
a double density drive can be read by SINGLE DENSITY systems.

I think Pete Fales has more to add here.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm