SYS V Rel 4, Virtual File Systems

Rao brr at abcom.ATT.COM
Fri Apr 13 11:24:59 AEST 1990

	The new release of AT&T SYS V, from what I have read in
	the UNIX mags, allows for Virtual File Systems.

	What is Virtual File Systems used for?

	Will it be possible to access database file systems,
	(say the Informix turbo File System) or some other
	non-standard (rather package dependent) file systems
	when the "specifications" of the file system are available?

	I can imagine the possibility of doing an "ls" or a
	"cat" command on say, a Informix Turbo (or some other
	database) file system by writing suitable device drivers
	(or whatever it takes) using the "specificationss" of such
	a non-standard (i.e. non-unix) file system.

	I would like to hear of other applications /uses of
	the Virtual File System capabilities.

	-bindu rama rao