Integrated editing and compiling with vi

Brad Appleton brad at SSD.CSD.HARRIS.COM
Mon Apr 9 03:15:49 AEST 1990

There is/was a thread in comp.lang.c (which should be redirected here IMHO)
about integrating compiling and editing with Unix! Peter De Silva has shown
a nifty vi map command that will compile the current source file and
append the messages to the vi session when done compiling! Now, I am
not fortunate enough to have a program called error(1) like some of you
people do (esp. those with Suns). What I would like to see is a vi
map command that does the following (without leaving vi of course):

1) write the current file
2) invoke make/cc, piping error output to a script which inserts the error
   messages into the source file after the offending source line
3) re-sync vi to edit the newly modified file
4) search to the first error message!

Obviously, the hard part here is the script! I would like it to use any or
all of ksh (or sh), sed, awk, perl. I would also like the script to be no
longer than 100-200 lines. The script should also embed each error message
in some fairly unique pattern that is easy to search for, and then embed
all this within a comment (e.g. /*%%% <message text> ###*/ ). Any scripts
that can do this without needing to know the compiler and/or source language
are not required but would be especially brilliant.

I do NOT want a C program (I have one already). Please do not tell me how
emacs can already do all this - I know that.

Please send e-mail! Post only if your e-mail bounces! I will summarize.

advTHANXance,

 Brad Appleton         Harris Computer Systems         brad at ssd.csd.harris.com
 (305) 973-5007        Fort Lauderdale, FL USA        {uunet,novavax}!hcx1!brad
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Disclaimer: I said it, not my company! -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-