Reading, But No Copying

David Macy-Beckwith macbeth at gdwest.gd.com
Sat Apr 7 07:09:22 AEST 1990

O.K., folks, here's the situation:

Unix Flavor: SunOS 3.5

Requirement:

Create a file which is readable (by vi, more, whatever) by
common-or-garden users BUT NOT COPYABLE. We need to let them examine, even print, the info, but not jury-rig some results by copying,
editing, and printing the file.

Comments:
It would seem that read-only for the world/universe/others
(004) would do the trick, but no, vi will read that puppy in and then
let you copy it to your $HOME with no problems.

I suspect I am missing some concept in the realm of Unix file
permissions (wouldn't be the first time).

Please e-mail me, as I am able to check my mail much more frequently
than I'm able to read Dah Net.

Thanks in advance.

--
David Macy-Beckwith
General Dynamics Data Systems Division, Western Center