# not honored?

Larry Wall lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
Thu Apr 12 10:09:20 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr11.213725.9361 at dasys1.uucp> jpr at dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
: In article <3106 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
: >                               some of
: >Larry Wall's scripts open with a command that does one thing on "sh" and
: >another on "csh", and if it detects it's running under "csh" it
: >resubmits itself to "sh":
:
: >PATH='.:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local:/usr/lbin:/etc'
: >export PATH || (echo "OOPS, this isn't sh.  Desperation time.  I will feed myself to sh."; sh $0; kill $$)
:
: Which never worked for me. I use csh most of the time.
: Both on the Tandy 6000, and in SCO 386 Xenix, it turns
: out that /bin/csh completey invert the meaning of

I try to make allowances for all kinds of cruftiness out there, but I've
never felt responsible for the sins of the whole world.  This behavior is,
frankly, a perversion, and deserves to be treated as such.

And, after all, it does say "Desperation time" there.  People who feed
Configure scripts to csh are asking for trouble already.

Larry Wall
lwall at jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov