(none)

woodb!scsmo1!don at cs.umd.edu woodb!scsmo1!don at cs.umd.edu
Tue Apr 10 23:16:01 AEST 1990

To: mimsy!brl.arpa!info-unix
Subject: RE: RE: calling for CMS users...

To: woodb!mimsy!brl.arpa!info-unix (Info Unix List)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 90 6:08:27 CST
From: don at scsmo1.UUCP (Don Ingli)

Hold on, lets not start the clasic wars of UNIX yuk, no CMS yuk, no....

First of all, I would like to see a FULL SCREEN XEDIT-like editor for
unix.  I would use it. (Im writing one now) I think new unix users would
love to have an easy full screen editor like xedit (vi is too cryptic for
new UNIXers).

Now, as for REXX for unix... no.  REXX is ok, but shell works a whole lot
better.  The only reason I see obtaining REXX with UNIX xedit is for
the macro functions (looping and such).   Suggestion: use standard shell -or-

Mansfield Software put out a xedit editor for the pcs called kedit.  The first
version required that you buy personal REXX (written by the original REXX
author) for macros... YUK! Large cost for a simple loop...  Anyway, Mansfield
recieved lots o mail and they included a REXX language subset in thier latest
version (4.0?) of kedit.  I WOULD LIKE TO SEE UNIX-XEDIT TO DO THIS ALSO (if
it has not).

Xedit is indeed a wonderful editor.. so is vi.. so is the editor that comes
with Microsoft's Quick C, and so is Microsoft Word...  I am currently writing
an editor that will support all of these modes (less word) so that the user
can use the full advantages of the 3 editors + added programing features...

--
  DON INGLI-United States Department of Agriculture - Soil Conservation Service
 \   INTERNET: mimsy!woodb!scsmo1!don at uunet.uu.net    PHONEnet: 314!875!5344   /