Directories That Grow

Donald Lashomb donlash at uncle.UUCP
Thu Apr 12 22:45:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr10.002953.1233 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>In my news directory structure, certain very active directories appear
>to be growing without bound.  For example, $NEWS/in.coming is very large
>but at this point contain about 4 actual files.
>
>How can I "reset" these directories so that "leading" entries with inode
>0 are removed?

try -
	  mv $NEWS/in.coming $NEWS/in.coming-old
	  mkdir $NEWS/in.coming
	  find $NEWS/in.coming-old -print | cpio -pdlm $NEWS/in.coming

	  # if everything looks ok, then rm -r $NEWS/in.coming-old

hope this helps, but why aren't the leading 0-inode entries being
re-used automatically?  When creating a file the system is supposed
to use the first empty slot in the directory.  Only if no empty slot
is the dir extended.  That's what I believe is supposed to happen.

-Don		donlash at uncle.UUCP