AIX ?

phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu phd_ivo at gsbacd.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 12 03:27:09 AEST 1990

+	Does anyone out there have experience of IBM's AIX ??

Well, I just got PS/2 AIX. My comparison is my NeXT computer's
version of BSD.

My first impression is that PS/2 AIX is ugly. This impression
is based primarily on the fact that AIX is based on a mini-disk
system, which are sort of partitions. Moreover, I do not like the
shell, since it does not seem to come with escape-recognition.

The installation is messy. There are umpteen disks, and another
few patch disks that one must apply. In addition, the entire
system is split up into ($$s-for each) packages with their own
documentation, each, which makes it a pain in the neck to try to
follow what it is that you (1) bought, (2) installed, (3) inserted
into the documentation, (4) have working....

I would be glad to hear alternative opinions...

/ivo welch	ivo at next.agsm.ucla.edu