Unix vs Novell

Andrew Hardie omega!ash at relay.eu.net
Thu Dec 20 02:36:27 AEST 1990

Unix users -

I need your advice and support.

We are about to install a pilot system of around a dozen users, as a
precursor to a full system for around forty users, which will be used
to prepare textual copy for a daily publication (text only, no pics).
I am planning to use DOS boxes working to one (for the pilot) or more
(later on) UNIX boxes. Having seen a system for a requirement similar
to ours that was UNIX box plus dumb terminals experience difficulties
because of the typing speed of the users, I intend to have the word
processor running locally, on the DOS boxes, as our typists are *very*
fast touch-typists, and keep the server(s) for the central resources,
such as the various databases (both record oriented and free-text) that
need to be referred by the users and the external background comms
required to get material in and out. To make it easy for the users to
access the databases and transfer the material into the text being
worked on, I was considering using DOS (Microsoft) Windows and JSB
Multiview Desktop, or something similar like PC-Connect or XPC. Have
read with interest about Desqview-X but not had a chance to do much more.

As they say here in England, "I feel it in my water" that DOS boxes and
UNIX hosts with TCP/IP & NFS is the way to go, offering fast local
response for the interactive WP, access to common databases etc on the
hosts, access to terminal lines to reach other (VMS) hosts not reachable
over the TCP/IP, inbound and outbound file transfer and remote logins via
modems and leased line or ISDN, i.e. a mixture of local, terminal emulation,
file transfer and file sharing requirements.

However, I have this bad feeling that I may be called upon to justify
this approach instead of buying Novell. I know enough about UNIX to
state the advantages I think the approach I have outlined above offers,
and I know a lot about DOS applications, but I know very little about
Novell and don't have time to learn before the questions start flying.
For example, does Novell have an equivalent to the UNIX "cron"? Can I
have "background" processes under Novell? And so on...

So, for those of you with the knowledge of both sides who can spare the
time, perhaps you would be kind enough to provide me with a list of
pros and cons to enable me to make this justification. I am in the
happy position that cost is not the prime consideration here; getting
a sound and reliable system is. Resilience is vital, to me this means
flexibility.

I look forward to your comments and thank you for sparing the time
away from the Christmas parties.

Andrew Hardie
London, England--
Andrew Hardie