A question on .exrc while using vi

Abhay B. Joshi joshi at motcid.UUCP
Tue Dec 4 11:42:51 AEST 1990

I couldn't find a newsgroup for vi questions, hence this intrusion.

I have a simple text-file containing the following text (3 lines):

	The goal:
	All I am trying to do is replace the 'the's by 'an's.
	That's all.

I set up a .exrc in the current directory which looks like (2 lines):
	:g/the/ s//an/g

Now I tried to do a 'vi text-file', I got a coredump! About 10 times.
Then I deleted the .exrc file and put the command in EXINIT.
I got a coredump again. (No coredump if neither .exrc nor EXINIT exists)

I don't think it's a memory problem. I use a SUN 4.0.3 with sunview with lots
of programs running at the same time. I tried the above in a no-other-program-
running mode too.

Any clues to the solution would be very welcome.

Abhay