Now that resolver is used, mail ignores 'mailhost' in /etc/hosts

Roger Gonzalez rg at uunet!unhd
Sat Dec 1 00:50:31 AEST 1990

System: Sun 3/160 running SunOS 4.1, *no* YP

I had been having problems getting ftp, telnet, finger, etc. to use the
nameserver.  I received a suggestion to rebuild /usr/lib/libc.so with
the inclusion of some .o's from libresolv.a.  This worked pretty well;
all address resolution was now done through the nameserver.  Unfortunately,
this makes /etc/hosts completely ignored.  Its not *that* intolerable,
but the /etc/hosts contained some convenient nicknames for local machines
that the resolver doesn't know about.  C'est la vie.

Worse, however, is the fact that sendmail no longer knows what 'mailhost'
is.  Outgoing mail is completely dead with regards to non-local sites.
Am I doing something wrong, or are there some changes that I need to make
in sendmail.cf?

thanks,
Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra