compiling 68000 code on a Sun 3

Wolfgang Stukenbrock Dipl. Zugangssystem Inf4 wgstuken at faui4n.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Dec 7 07:05:20 AEST 1990

rg at uunet!unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:

>I need to be able to compile plain 68000 code on a Sun 3 to be prommed
>into an embedded system.  It looks like as and gas can assemble 68020
>and 68010 code (or, if you prefer, gcc and cc can *produce* 680[12]0 code.)
>I need to be able to do the whole thing; from compilation to assembly to
>link.  Am I in trouble?

Yes you are!

There are two main problems.
1. Sun
  Sun wants to sell you the cross-development-package and so the cc suplied
  with your sun3 won't generate plain 680[01]0 code. The "-sun3" (for 4.0.3)
  or the "-target sun2" (for 4.1) wont work without the cross-development-
  extentions. I suppose "as" does the same (not testet - I fixed gas to work)
2. GNU
  The gas doesn't work correct on sun3!!!!! There are problems (never fixed by FSF)
  that make it incompartible to the as. These are not only syntax-problem
  there is a GREAT BUG in gas, that brings semantik-problems with the bss
  segment. Under 4.0.3 (we are still running 4.0.3, because sun isn't able
  to ship the sources) it was poosible to install gas (with a lot of work)
  but under 4.1 I dont know if it is still possible. (on Sparc these
  semantik-problems make it impossible to use gas!)

If you got a correct objectfile, everythings done. "ld", "ar", "ranlib, etc. works!

Wolfgang (wgstuken at immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)