What does waiting for lock on /dev/... mean"

Goldberg dsg at mbunix.mitre.org
Thu Dec 13 10:07:17 AEST 1990

> wk1:/ # lpq
> waiting for lock on /dev/acdps2
> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> 1st    root       18   /usr/spool/qdaemon/tI8QCGy            8123 bytes

> There is only one UNIX computer trying to print to these printers, but
> there are PCs and MacIntoshes which are also trying to print.

> Does anyone have any insight or know how I can restore the print queues
> once we see this?  BTW is it related to the rpc.lockd daemon?  This is
> on a Sun SPARCstation running SUNOS4.1.  Any insight or comments would
> be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  --Tim

My bet is that /dev/acdps2 is a hard link to /dev/null, and that there
are other such hard links for other printers.  The lpd program uses
the lock files to prevent subsequently started lpd's from messing up
the queue.  I believe that if you delete the hard links to /dev/null
and just touch those files (ie creating a separate lock for each
printer), you will be OK.  This worked for ethernet connected Imagen
printers.  I don't know how it will work for whatever software you are
using to talk to the Gator box.

#include<std.disclaimer.h>
--
Dave Goldberg                     UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator
The Mitre Corporation   MS B020  Bedford, MA 01730        617-271-2460