Locking the sound device?

frankjr at neon.stanford.edu frankjr at neon.stanford.edu
Mon Dec 3 03:33:00 AEST 1990

When I am using a sun sparcstation 1 from the console, is there any way to
prevent another user from telneting to my machine, and playing sounds on it?

The audio device is owned by root so I cant change the protections on it.

The other questions is this.  Is there a way to prevent a user from telneting
on to the machine while I am using it, and do an xloadimage on my display?

Lastly, there is a program called decay which effectively makes the image on
your screen "melt", the other program I have seen is one that a little person
comes on the screen in the lower left corner, and pushes your screen off the
side of your monitor.  Is there any way to prevent these from working if the
user invoking them is not on the console.

All these question are under this environment.  I am a user, and only have
user priveledges.  I just want to be able to prevent that stuff while I am
using the console.

Thanx
Frank Busalacchi
frankjr at neon.stanford.edu

ps.  Does anyone know where these neat but annoying little demos are that
mess with your screen such as decay...brush... or anyother little hacks..