A question on .exrc while using vi

Dan Mercer mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM
Tue Dec 11 05:14:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec6.135646 at cs.utwente.nl> stadt at cs.utwente.nl (Richard van de Stadt) writes:
:In article <5315 at graphite20.UUCP>, joshi at motcid.UUCP (Abhay B. Joshi) writes:
:|> I couldn't find a newsgroup for vi questions, hence this intrusion.
:|>
:|> I have a simple text-file containing the following text (3 lines):
:|>
:|> 	The goal:
:|> 	All I am trying to do is replace the 'the's by 'an's.
:|> 	That's all.
:|>
:|> I set up a .exrc in the current directory which looks like (2 lines):
:|> 	:g/the/ s//an/g
:|>
:|> Now I tried to do a 'vi text-file', I got a coredump! About 10 times.
:|> Then I deleted the .exrc file and put the command in EXINIT.
:|> I got a coredump again. (No coredump if neither .exrc nor EXINIT exists)
:|>
:
:On a SPARCstation 1+ I get a segmentation fault
:
I won't ask why you're attempting this.  However,  at the time the
exinit processing occurs,  there is not yet an identifiable file (I
ran into this problem several years ago).
So it is not at all surprising that attempts to edit non-existent data
result in memory errors.  On NCR Towers,  you get "No lines in
buffer".  (On the other hand,  Towers will allow you to vi
/dev/ether0,  which craps out the entire machine).

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services