What's so special about uudecode?

Andrew Krieg krieg at jupiter.med.ge.com
Sat Dec 29 10:11:27 AEST 1990

uudecode has some special characteristics at my site.  We are running a large
Sun network, using SunOS 3.5.  uudecode will only work in the /tmp or
/usr/tmp directories.  If you try to run it, say in your home directory, you
get the error:

filename: Permission denied

It also won't work from within a makefile.  You get the same error, even
if the makefile tries to do the uudecode in /tmp.

Anyone have a clue as to why this is?  The man pages sure don't list this as
a feature.  Is there perhaps something wrong with the configuration or
installation at my site?

Thanks.
=     Andrew Krieg	| Down by the river bank, a blues band arrives. =
= krieg at titan.med.ge.com| The music suffers, baby.			=
=	   or		| The music business thrives.			=
= krieg at cvax.cs.uwm.edu |			       - Paul Simon	=