determining size of physical memory

Jeffrey P. Bakke bakke at plains.NoDak.edu
Sat Dec 29 08:07:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec27.202715.27688 at Neon.Stanford.EDU>, hitt at Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
> Is there a standard UNIX program or system call that determines
> the size of the physical memory of the machine on which it is
> running?
>
> I'd like to be able to do this on Ultrix, SunOS, and the NeXT OS,
> and possibly HP-UX.

Well, I'm not positive that this is the best way or the that it will work
correctly under all instances but if you have read access to the /dev/mem
(or /dev/kmem) you might just try
'wc -c < /dev/mem' using the word count program to count the number of
bytes.  I've found on most systems that it will return the correct physical
memory size (not swap space though).

--
Jeffrey P. Bakke                      |   There are a finite number of
  INTERNET:   bakke at plains.NoDak.edu  |   jokes in the world...