Timezone processing (was Re: "cal 9 1752")

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 3 02:30:21 AEST 1990

In article <28082 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>Of course, now that Unix is being `internationalized', someone will
>have to fix `cal'.  Clearly the right answer is to adopt the System V
>convention, and code the rules into an environment variable. :-)

>(The above was intended as a sarcastic comment about SV `TZ' rules.
>Why POSIX did not just adopt the Arthur Olson approach is beyond me.)

OK...so what was the Arthur Olson approach? The TZ setup, at least in the
System V release 2 systems I've used, seems like a very usable approach.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.