PROCESS MIGRATION IN UNIX

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Dec 14 15:14:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec12.181012.17399 at cs.wayne.edu> tnk at cs.wayne.edu.UUCP () writes:
>     I've been looking into some very simple process migration
> 	techniques. Since I am not a unix expert I was wondering if
> 	anyone out there has any information on how to access
> 	the state of a process including registers and execution state,
> 	virtual memory, and file access.

You could try using pmckpt, the poor man's checkpointer. pmckpt is a
cooperative checkpointer, which means that you have to add information
to your program to use it. It's hellishly portable---several people have
even reported pmckpt working under System V variants.

I have successfully used pmckpt to transfer a running program and its
files between two Suns.

pmckpt is available via anonymous ftp to stealth.acf.nyu.edu as
pub/flat/pm-pmckpt-0.95. I'll be releasing a new version soon, with
better preamble support and some options for saving BSD-specific u area
information.

---Dan