dump multiple file systems on same tape ?

Peter Scott pjs at euclid.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 8 10:01:12 AEST 1990

In article <84 at nososl.UUCP>, olav at nososl.UUCP (Olav Eide) writes:

> I am attempting to dump several (root) filesystems onto the same tape,
> using the following syntax:
>
>    dump 0ufsdn /dev/rmt14 10000 1500 /dev/gd0a
>    dump 0ufsdn /dev/rmt14 10000 1500 /dev/gd2a
>    dump 0ufsdn /dev/rmt14 10000 1500 /dev/gd4a
>

> The dump proceeds nicely, but when I attempt to restore, all I find
> on the tape is the first filesystem. No sign of the two other.
> Dump also informs the that it is rewinding the tape after each
> dump, but the time this takes is much too short for that to actually
> happen. /dev/rmt14 does not do an automatic rewind. I have not found
> anything in TFM to enlighten me, maybe anyone on the net can ?.

At least on my system, I would call the device /dev/nrmt14;
the n stands for "no rewind" (intuitive, huh :-)).  Dump
will still claim that it's rewinding, but it isn't.  You
can verify the dumps with a sequence of restore ivf; mt fsf
commands.

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs at euclid.jpl.nasa.gov)