What's so special about uudecode?

David Daniel tronix at polari.UUCP
Sun Dec 30 19:45:04 AEST 1990

[]Ha!  I think your vendor has made the *dreadful* error of making
[]uudecode setuid to uucp "for the convenience of decoding received uucp
[]files".  I have seen systems where this is a horrible security hole in
[]that uudecode will allow anyone to make a setuid-to-uucp shell (begin 4755

     [remainder of security hole explanation deleted]

Even
though you've told the net at large and who knows how many BBS's
around the world exactly how to hack a specific system and possibly
others I'll make a suggestion:

You should have answered this person via e-mail with a cc to root. I'm
glad I don't have an account on his system.

--
David Daniel (The man with no disclaimer)  tronix at polari.UUCP
"Beware the Truth. If you find a Truth it can demand that you make painful