read/write tar/cpio tapes under dos

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Wed Dec 26 19:14:35 AEST 1990

nikhil at dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Nikhil Parekh) in <5091 at oasys.dt.navy.mil> writes:

	Does anyone know of a way to read and write unix tar or cpio
	format tapes (1/4" QIC-02) on a machine running dos (just
	dos not dos under unix)?

Though I haven't tried this personally (no "DOS" machines here :-), there
is/was a "pax2exe" posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc earlier this year; most
likely it is archived at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (IP 26.2.0.74).  "Pax" is
the POSIX "US Tar" replacement for cpio and tar and is upward compatible
with both; on a UNIX system "tar" and "cpio" can be linked to "pax" and
the program will do the right thing based on the name by which it was invoked.

Since I'm a packrat and collect references to things that "may" someday
be useful, I actually found the header of the original "pax2exe" posting;
hope the attached helps!  It's no longer online here so don't ask me to
send you a copy.  I "believe" the "2" in "pax2exe" means version 2, but
the sources for version 1.2 can be found on uunet.uu.net; I don't know where
the sources for version 2 (if such it is) are located.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]