Problems with the crontab

cap at ifi.unizh.ch cap at ifi.unizh.ch
Tue Dec 11 04:54:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec5.131108.17376 at ifi.unizh.ch> cap at ifi.unizh.ch writes:

>We observed the following problems with the cron on a SparcStation1
>under SunOS4.0.3:
>
>1) Several times processes are started too early than specified
>   (error of several seconds)
>
>2) One time out of approx. 10 times a process is even started TWICE.
>   The crontab contains a line that should start a process at the full
>   hour saying the time by copying a file to /dev/audio
>   Every now and then two such processes are started and we hear an
>   interleaving of two time-announcements.
>
>3) Even worse, we have similar problems with our dumps that get started
>   via crontab and crash from time to time when two dump processes
>   are started.

I got a lot of answers - and so I am unable to thank everyone individually.
So THANX FOR ALL THE ANSWERS.

The problem seems to be a bug in SunOS 4.0.3 which seems to got fixed in
SunOS 4.1.
So ... it's upgrade time 8-) ...

--
* Dr. Clemens H. CAP           cap at ifi.unizh.ch        Phone +01 257-4326
* Dept. of Computer Science    University of Zurich    Winterthurerstr. 190