printing postscript files

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.mpr.ca
Tue Feb 20 12:58:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb19.155338.8914 at druid.uucp>, darcy at druid.uucp (D'Arcy
J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <6461 at cps3xx.UUCP> davisd at cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
> >Hi,
> >  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
> >files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
. . .
> I'll ask the stupid question first.  Do you actually have a PostScript
> printer attached?
> The printer may have been set up
> to  emulate some other sort of printer such as a QMS with the switch
> set to Diablo mode.  The other possibility is that the default printer
> is filtered through an ASCII printer emulator

Actually, the most likely possibility is that you aren't including
the correct (or any) postscript header file with the Mac-generated
postscript. I believe the command-K sequence generates a file that
includes lots of non-existant postscript commands, and doesn't start
with the '%!' magic cookie that Transcript software (from Adobe)
looks for.

This usually works on a Mac, because the printer has been pre-loaded
with the necessary functions. Printers hung off UNIX systems are
rarely set up this way.

I believe there's some magic Mac keystroke sequence or something that
will magically generate a header file for you, but (not being a Mac
hack) I can't help you with that one! Anyone else?

Ross Parker				parker at mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker