Sys V uugetty problem

Gregory G. Woodbury ggw at wolves.uucp
Fri Feb 23 15:15:31 AEST 1990

In article <1061 at upvax.UUCP> stevewa at upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>The problem seems to be with kermit.  I think it's not putting the lock file
>where uugetty expects to see it, or something.  I have to manually turn off
>the uugetty to use kermit, but cu _usually_ works OK.  Sometimes even turning
>off uugetty isn't enough, and I have to reboot with the uugetty turned off in
>order to make everyone happy.
>
>If someone has solved this problem for real, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your
>solution!!!!!!

The kermit makefile is full of all sorts of interesting things.
The ckutio.c file has a define for HDBUUCP (or something like that,
I'm to lazy to look right now ;-) that takes care of having the lock files
placed in the correct place (/usr/spool/locks) and with the correct format
(pid of the locking process as an ascii string).

There is a make bsdhdb target that turns on this define, but last version of
kermit I got from columbia did NOT have a similar s5r3hdb and the s5r3 did
not define it.  System V Release 3.1 made HoneyDanBer UUCP the default and
decided to call it BNU (Basic Network Utilities).  Some vendors of S5R3.1
removed BNU/HDB from the basic system and make it an extra cost option.
All that is necessary is to add an s5r3hdb target to the kermit makefile which
defines the necessary symbol and rebuild kermit.

I use kermit all the time on my V2.0.1 system and the uugetty works fine as long
as the line permissions are ok.

The one other thing to check is to make sure that the cable between the modem
and the serial port correctly supports DTR!  If not, you will have problems with
the line and turnaround.

--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC
Domain: ggw at cds.duke.edu  ggw at ac.duke.edu  ggw%wolves at ac.duke.edu
Phone: +1 919 493 1998 (Home)  +1 919 684 6126 (Work)
[The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>